Franck Borel wrote:
Where did you place your Realm block?

It must be placed inside the context block like this:

<Context ..>
    <Realm ...../>
</Context..>

I did not have it here, I had it in the Engine tag. I have now changed it, and stoped and restarted the server. I still get the same error. The relavent bit of my server.xml file looks like this -

      <!--
      <Realm  className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm"
             driverName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
          connectionURL="jdbc:mysql://localhost/authority"
         connectionName="root" connectionPassword="ROOT_PASSWORD"
userTable="users" userNameCol="user_name" userCredCol="user_pass"
          userRoleTable="user_roles" roleNameCol="role_name" />
      -->
      <Host name="localhost" appBase="webapps"
       unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
        <Context path="/minimal" docBase="minimal" debug="0"
                reloadable="false" crossContext="true">
          <Realm  className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm"
                  driverName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
                  connectionURL="jdbc:mysql://localhost/authority"
                  connectionName="root" connectionPassword="ROOT_PASSWORD"
userTable="users" userNameCol="user_name" userCredCol="user_pass"
                  userRoleTable="user_roles" roleNameCol="role_name" />
        </Context>