Chuck,

>> From: Jane Muse [mailto:jm...@rocketsoftware.com] Subject: RE:
>> Class cast exception when starting tomcat 7.0.1
>
>> I had catalina.jar in WEB-INF/lib.
>
> Very, very bad move.
>
>> It's needed because we have an implementation of Realm to store
>> an encrypted tomcat password users enter in the webapp.
>
> Your custom implementation of Realm should be in Tomcat's lib
> directory, not the webapp's.  See:
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/realm-howto.html#What_is_a_Realm?
>
>  Such a Realm should not be tied into the operation of any webapp,
> other than configuring the webapp to use it.
>
>> If I remove it and add the catalina.jar from tomcat_home/lib to
>> the classpath
>
> Not sure what you mean by adding it to the classpath; please
> explain.
>
>> I have to change the signature from
>> org.apache.catalina.realm.RealmBase.Digest(String, String) to
>> org.apache.catalina.realm.RealmBase.Digest(String, String,
>> String).
>
> That's because internal Tomcat APIs often change between levels.
> You certainly cannot count on using an older version of Realm with
> a newer Tomcat (or vice versa).
>
>> Should I not be writing code that needs classes from
>> catalina.jar?
>
> It would certainly be desirable not to be dependent on internal
> Tomcat classes.  Why do you think a Realm should be storing a
> password (encrypted or not) anywhere?  A Realm would normally be
> reading a password from some controlled storage, not writing to
> it.

+1

I'm interested in what the custom realm does. Tomcat's realms all
support simple hashing via MessageDigest (i.e. no salting, iteration,
password-hashing algorithms, etc.) which is often enough for most
people (yet I'm not one of them).

If you are symmetrically-encrypting your passwords, you are setting
yourself up for security problems.

If you want to implement something more elaborate (say, you want to
implement bcrypt password-hashing instead of MD5), then you'll have to
do it yourself. I've been threatening to write-up some patches to
allow pluggable password-mangling algorithms into Tomcat Realms, but I
have not bothered to do so, yet. If there was more interest in such
things, I might be persuaded to be a little more diligent.