Mark,

On 6/25/13 10:32 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 25/06/2013 15:01, Nickalaus A Painter wrote:
>> Thank you very much for your quick response!  Here are the
>> previous error messages:
>
> It would have been helpful to include all the error messages the
> first time around. I then wouldn't have had to waste time working
> through the code checking that there should have been an error
> message and telling you what to look for.

Someone is cranky, today. :p

>> Also, for completeness, here is MyApp.xml:
>
> And there we have the problem.
>>
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!DOCTYPE Context>
>> <application xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee";
>> xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance";
>> xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee/web-app_2_5.xsd
>>  http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_5.xsd"; version="2.5">
>
> WTF? Where does it suggest that this is valid for a context.xml
> file?

Honestly, for a novice user, it is not entirely clear what the
difference is between a "deployment descriptor" (i.e. web.xml) and a
"context descriptor" (i.e. context.xml). I know I sometimes call
context.xml a "deployment descriptor" when I'm not being careful.

The document element should have been a clue (the XML is a complete
mess: DOCTYPE is "Context", but then the document element is
<application>, schema dictates that the document element should be
web-app, etc.) but it's easy to get confused.

On top of that, there is no schema available for <Context> so maybe OP
thought he'd use the next-best thing...

>> <Resource name="jdbc/dbconn" auth="Container"
>> type="javax.sql.DataSource"
>> driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
>> url="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/mydatabase" username="root"
>> password="root" maxActive="50" maxIdle="15" maxWait="-1"/>
>
> I really, really hope those aren't the real values. You should
> never connect to a database as root, even for development.

+1

A few additional thoughts:

1. maxActive=50 is quite a lot. I run a medium-traffic site and we
have maxActive=20 with an alert whenever active > 10.

2. maxWait=-1 is a terrible idea: you can easily tie-up all your
request-processing threads waiting for database connections if
something goes wrong. You won't even be able to tell users that
something is wrong. Even if you make this something outrageous like 60
seconds, you should not set it to -1 for "infinite wait".