sol myr wrote:
Hi,

Has anyone happened to stumble onto this issue, please:
Our Ajax works perfectly as long as its non-secure.
However, when switching to SSL we sometimes see 408 errors (incomplete
request). This only happens on ajax, and inconsistently (similar requests might
succeed on one moment, but fail on the other).

Please note:
1. Our client is Chrome browser, using JQuery for ajax
2. Server is Tomcat 7
3. Network is fast and stable, and the ajax requests are small
4. Problem occurs for both our connectors: APR and Http (both with SSL enabled) 5. Our x509 certificate is valid (otherwise it would have failed on *all* ajax ssl requests, not to mention the non-ajax ssl)

The HTTP RFC 2616 states :

10.4 Client Error 4xx

The 4xx class of status code is intended for cases in which the client seems to
have erred.

and

10.4.9 408 Request Timeout

The client did not produce a request within the time that the server was prepared to wait. The client MAY repeat the request without modifications at any later time.

On the face of it thus (and barring some real bug in Tomcat), this looks like a client error, scenario : - the client opens a TCP connection to the server, with the purpose of sending a request on that connection - but then the client fails to send a request on that connection, for a time sufficient for the server to declare a "time-out" (or takes an inordinate amount of time to send the request line - such as in one kind of DOS attack).

Any idea why some of your client requests may have such a behaviour ?