 From: Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
To: Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, August 2, 2013 11:06 PM
Subject: Re: libapr-1.so.0  not deployed for Tomcat 7

srinivas,

On 8/2/13 10:51 PM, srinivas yelamanchili wrote:
> Hi, I built APR 1.4.8 from source code as non-root user on redhat
> linux and deployed to /apps/mstrat/apache/apr-1.4.8 Installed
> Tomcat 7.0.42 at  /apps/mstrat/apache-tomcat-7.0.42 by untar the
> .tar.gz file
>
> The Tomcat lib folder doesn't have libapr-1.so.0
>

> I compiled the tomcat native library 1.1.27 as below
>
> ./configure --with-apr=/apps/mstrat/apache/apr-1.4.8 \
> --with-java-home=/apps/mstrat/java/jdk1.7.0_25 \
> --with-ssl=/apps/mstrat/apache/openssl-1.0.1e    \
> --prefix=/apps/mstrat/apache-tomcat-7.0.42 make make install
>
> I see new libraries at /apps/mstrat/apache-tomcat-7.0.42/lib
> libtcnative-1.so.0.1.27 libtcnative-1.so.0 ->
> libtcnative-1.so.0.1.27 libtcnative-1.so ->
> libtcnative-1.so.0.1.27 libtcnative-1.la libtcnative-1.a but NOT
> libapr-1.so.0
>
> libapr-1.so.0 and libapr-1.so.0.4.8 are available at APR install
> directory (/apps/mstrat/apache/apr-1.4.8/lib)
>
> When I start Tomcat, I see the following error in the log file
> catalina.out:java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:
> /apps/mstrat/apache-tomcat-7.0.42/lib/libtcnative-1.so.0.1.27:
> libapr-1.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory
>
> From tomcat lib folder strings libtcnative-1.so.0.1.27  | more |
> grep libapr libapr-1.so.0
>
> On manually copying the libapr-1.so.0 from APR lib to Tomcat lib,
> the error is gone on tomcat restart
>
> Why doesn't Tomcat native library build&install deploy
> libapr-1.so.0 to the Tomcat lib folder or the Tomcat include this
> library by default?
>
> We cannot ask root user to install these software and I want to
> make Tomcat work as non-root user without installing any in global
> paths/libraries, so when we compile and deploy to our local folders
> I would expect it to work 'out of the box'

It wouldn't be appropriate for tcnative to "install" software other
than itself. For instance, I have libapr on my system already, so
having the build scripts for tcnative copy the APR shared libraries
from /usr/lib (where they are installed on my system) into
CATALINA_HOME/lib is a mistake: they would eclipse the
system-installed libraries.

Note that your source distribution of APR should include a build
script with an "install" target. If you have specified a prefix
directory (like $CATALINA_HOME) then you should be able to "make
install" and have it but the binary libraries into $CATALINA_HOME/lib

> ps : sorry about earlier post, I used 'reply' to an existing
> thread and overwrote the subject and content with my topic,
> without realizing it was still 'chained' to the original thread

It's a common mistake and often only noticed by readers who have
"threading" properly configured in their email readers (as I do).
Don't feel bad.

There are several problems with hijacking threads in this way, the two
most irritating are:

1. It often truly "hijacks" the thread and nobody will answer the
original question because it's been lost in the shuffle

2. The (properly-threaded) mailing list archives will show your
question as a reply to some unrelated topic, and it will be more
difficult to find (and pollute the original thread in the archives,
just as in #1).

Next time, just click "New Message" instead of "Reply". No big deal.