Using the Apache JDBC pool with DataSources, but directly.  We have to , as
this is an avenue for our users to access their databases from within our
product, and we really don't have any idea which JDBC drivers our customers
will be using, and we don't want them changing our configuration files.  It
DOES seem if you go the JNDI-DataSource route that the driver is forcibly
loaded.   Also worthwhile to note that DriverManager.getConnection fails as
well (which I guess isn't surprising).

Mark