hi all,
thought I would add some progress on this topic.
I have changed my method for reading from the HttpServletRequest object but
the same warning message is thrown for every 8192 bytes read. I no longer
regard my code to be suspect though am happy to be corrected. The
application operates completely normally except for the warning message. The
code I am using to read the input is shown below.

 public void doPost(HttpServletRequest httpServletRequest.....etc
  .......other code..............
  char[] cbuf=new char[8192];
  int i=0;
  int requestLength=httpServletRequest.getContentLength();
  BufferedReader in=httpServletRequest.getReader();
  StringBuilder sb=new StringBuilder(requestLength);
    while(sb.length()<requestLength){
      if(in.ready()){
       i=in.read(cbuf,0,reqLen);
      }