No appenders means output is not appended to anything.  If you supply the
jar, supply the log4j.properties which configures it.

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: Guy McArthur [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 1:10 PM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: logging question

Hello, somehow the 3rd party jar's in my web app are changing the log
level and I need to find out how to override. Specifically my problem is
that the log methods of Servlet send their output into the ether. The
dependencies include commons-logging and log4j (themselves dependencies
of either jfreechart or displaytag), neither of which I am familiar with.

I did try creating a logging.properties in my application (attached),
which at least created a file in ${catalina.base}/logs, but never wrote
anything to it.

Does anyone know what I might need to change?

There are warnings in catalina.out:

(on startup)
(org.apache.catalina.startup.TldConfig).

(on reload)
(org.apache.commons.digester.Digester).

But if they are only warnings, would they cut off all logging from the
application?

Please help, thanks.
--
Guy