Thulasiram,

1. Tomcat 5.5.x (what is your x?) is no longer supported
2. Java 1.6 is no longer supported unless you have a contract
3. CLASSPATH is almost never the place to put web dependencies

Steps to address the issue:

1. Move to the latest Tomcat 6 or Tomcat 7 (preferably 7)
2. Move to the latest JRE (1.7.0_40)
3. Remove extra stuff from your CLASSPATH
4. For your application dependencies
   a. put all classes in WEB-INF/classes
   b. put all libs in WEB-INF/lib
   c. Container-managed resources go in CATALINA_BASE/lib

Most people writing about issues with classpath are using Eclipse. Are you trying to run this from Eclipse?

If so, follow the above, and do the following:

1. Use the latest (or next to latest) J2EE version of Eclipse
2. Use either Eclipse's project structure or Maven
   a. If you're using Maven
      i. Use the latest Eclipse
      ii. I like JBoss Tools plugin as well
      iii. Maven takes care of dependencies for you
   b. If you're using the standard Eclipse environment
      i. extra libs go in WebContent/WEB-INF/lib
      ii. extra classes go in WebContent/WEB-INF/classes
      iii. Eclipse adds these to the build path for you
      iv. Eclipse places compiled sources in classes
3. Add the Tomcat server to a Servers project (follow the wizard)

just my two cents . . .
/mde/