David,

On 10/8/13 11:03 PM, David Bullock wrote:
> Please answer at Stackoverflow, and I'll report the results back to
> this list:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19261727/in-tomcat-juli-do-the-facility-specific-loggers-become-per-webapp-logger-root

Um, no.

If you want to ask this community, then ask here. If you prefer the SO
community, ask there. Feel free to ask both. But don't come here and
tell us to go somewhere else to help you.

> This intent behind this question is very similar to that asked in
> 2011: "How to externalize a webapp's logging.properties?", but it
> was never adequately answered:
>
> http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-user&m=131831958930163&w=2

The answer was "no, you can't do that". When you say "adequately" do
you mean "to your satisfaction" (i.e. you wanted the answer to be
"yes") or that it wasn't actually answered. Becaue Konstantin Kolinko
did answer in no uncertain terms. He also gave some suggestions for
where to look to maybe hack your way to a working solution. Dan used
one of those suggestions to effect a working solution.

> In general, I'm really grumpy when I have to unpack a WAR and
> fiddle with some files **each time** I deploy it.  If there is some
> more-general mechanism for allowing a deployer (remember those
> things called 'roles' from the EJB 1.0 spec, anyone?) to override
> configuration settings which have unfortunately been embedded in
> the WAR file, I'd **love** to know about it.  I haven't spotted
> anything about this in the Tomcat doco so far.

Virtual. Class. Loader. Or "Resources", depending upon your Tomcat
version.

Or, fix your packaging and/or deployment so that it builds the correct
WAR file for your environment. I know this isn't always possible,
especially for mass-distributed webapps where the developer doesn't
control the target environment.