On 18/10/2013 08:25, Anu Prab wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using Tomcat version 7.0.40.
>
> Whenever there is an entry to context.xml, the context.xml reloads and
> redeploys the webapps since it is configured that way and is required to be
> that way. When a user hits a URL at this point, the page will be blank
> since reloading is still underway. My concern is - is there a way to
> determine when the reload is complete? Also, is there a way to display a
> meaningful message when the user hits a page during reload?

Editing the context.xml triggers an undeploy followed by a deploy rather
than a reload. Currently, the brief period between the undeploy and the
deploy will be treated as if no web application exists.

Handling this the same way a context reload is handled (essentially
pausing the request until the redeploy is complete) might be possible
but that would require code changes. The problem is non-trivial because
of the interactions between the Mapper, the Host, the HostConfig and the
Context objects that would need to be coordinated. I suspect the
complexity would not be worth the benefit when there is a simpler
solution available.

Using parallel deployment and deploying a new version would mean the new
version is deployed without any downtime and the old version can be
removed at your leisure.

Mark