Jon,

On 10/18/13 4:29 PM, Info wrote:
> "On 17/10/2013 14:39, Info wrote:
>> I am new to your user list, why don’t you help me out like the
>> others instead of rudely patronising me.
>
> I asked you politely not to hijack threads and ignored that
> request.
>
> Other list members have responded politely to your questions and
> you have repeatedly ignored them.
>
> You have also been asked not to top-post and you continue to do
> so.
>
> This list tends to be tolerant of folks that make mistakes
> providing that folks listen when their mistakes are pointed out.
>
> Unfortunately - as in this case - the polite requests are ignored
> and the blunt approach is necessary in order for the message to get
> through. If you don't like having such messages directed at you,
> the solution is simple. Take heed to the polite advice the first
> time around.
>
> Mark"
>

> Hey Mark,
>
> Thanks for your patience. I've never heard of "top posting" and
> the concept of it being bad, most modern email clients actually
> force you to top post so its habit.

No, they don't. Note that Gmail isn't a real mail client.

> Why don’t you guys use a forum like PHPBB, surely that would stop
> these frustrations?

Because forums suck. Digests don't work. You can't batch-download
updates. You have to login to interact. Email is simply easier for ...
just about everything. I can use my smart phone for this mailing list
without any special software, and it's okay if my browser's javascript
engine sucks because I'm not using it. If you like nntp better, you
can use a mail-to-news gateway.

In general, the ASF supports mailing lists for communication and not
forums for the above and many other reasons.

(Honestly, if we were to move to a "forum" format, I'd lobby for using
something more like Stack Exchange since it's a great platform and
rewards members of the community for submitting useful answers.)