Stephen,

On 10/25/13, 11:15 AM, Stephen More wrote:
>> I agree with everything you have said...perhaps I am not looking
>> for a "benchmark" but perhaps a real world - full stack reference
>> web application with included jmeter plan: - JSF - rest, soap
>> calls - network io - Database updates, inserts, selects - logging
>> framework - security

Testing JSP, REST, SOAP, and DB calls are not useful: containers
generally have no specific support for those... it's all up to the
application (or additional frameworks for that purpose).

What do you mean by "testing security"? Spec-compliance? Performance?
You ought to be able to test security performance by running the same
benchmark with different security-constraint setups.

Testing logging and io should all be wrapped-up into whatever test you
are already running. I'm not sure how you would test them separately,
unless each container implemented their own test harnesses that you
could call. Even then, the container devs could game the tests to be
favorable for themselves.

>> For a given hardware setup - how many users will it support ?
>> Lets say the reference app/test supports 100 users on my
>> hardware. If my app only supports 50 users then perhaps I need to
>> dig deeper to find my specific bottleneck ( i.e. x:forEach bug
>> which has been broken for almost 10 years ! )

This is all application testing. Tomcat can scale up hugely if it's
just serving static files. If you do something stupid like synchronize
everything and put Thread.sleep in your webapp, there's nothing Tomcat
to do to make that faster. If you have huge sessions, you'll need more
memory. Again, the choice of the container here is not really relevant.

>> If my app supports 100 users then perhaps I should look at a
>> hardware upgrade or clustering.
>
>> Or would there be a way to calculate how many JOPS my
>> application requires, then lookup
>> http://www.spec.org/jAppServer2004/results/jAppServer2004.html
>> and see what hardware class should I be targeting.

Umm... instrument your webapp?

>> I really want some sort of litmus test - is there a problem with
>> my architecture, or is it good enough and it is time to scale
>> out. ( I can dream can't I ? )

No, there is no litmus test. You can log, instrument, and profile. If
you suck at any of the above, you will likely not get very far. if you
don't trust yourself, hire someone smarter than you.

>> I plan to add more variables to the addrbook, but I want to make
>> sure I get a good baseline first.

Baseline for what? Do you intend to launch a global service based upon
an 8-year-old addressbook webapp?