André,

On 10/25/13, 7:18 AM, André Warnier wrote:
> For example, a utility such as logrotate, in the sysadmin world, is
> like a gift of God. Most server-like programs allow logrotate to
> rotate their logfiles, compress old ones, remove even older ones,
> etc. to keep things running smoothly over time. It's a simple
> thing, but it saves many hours that would otherwise have to be
> dedicated to monitoring and reacting to such repetitive
> occurrences.
>
> Tomcat, at this moment, does not really allow that.

It does, but it's not terribly obvious how to do it.

Here are some ways to do it:

1. Modify catalina.sh to pipe | instead of redirect >
2. Use "catalina.sh start | chronolog" or whatever
3. Configure logrotate to copy-and-truncate
4. Set CATALINA_OUT=/dev/null before launching
5. Set up a named pipe and set CATALINA_OUT to it before launching
   (Plus have another process drain that pipe)

> That is because there is no simple mechanism to tell Tomcat to
> relinquish control of its current logfiles for a moment, short of
> stopping Tomcat completely and restarting it (which interrupts the
> service, sometimes for a significant amount of time).

What happens in httpd if I write a module that writes to stdout
instead of the proper httpd-provided logging mechanisms?

> So my request is simple (at least to express) : can someone among
> the Tomcat luminaries not imagine a mechanism by which Tomcat
> would, on request from an external program or script, do something
> like the Apache httpd does during a "soft reload" : wait for the
> current requests to terminate, close all logfiles and re-open them
> ? For example : there already exist a "shutdown port", and a bunch
> of "Listeners". Could there not be a "logs rotate port" or a
> "logrotate listener" ?

It seems like this could be done via the manager webapp.

> I am not underestimating the possible difficulty of the task, and
> probably tackling such an issue is ultimately less rewarding for a
> developer than implementing the latest in webapp or HTTP
> technology.
>
> But many sysadmins worldwide would be grateful if this came to pass
> and I am sure that it would do a great deal to increase the
> popularity of Tomcat among them.

Honestly, the only time this is really a problem is when catalina.out
is filling-up with junk, right? It's always awkward when that happens.