On Nov 7, 2013, at 11:58 PM, Anu Prab <anupr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I am using Tomcat 7.0.42 and Tomcat jdbc pool.
>
>> Just to be perfectly clear, how are you using this?  With a <Resource/>
> tag in your Tomcat >configuration or are you creating the pool in your
> code?  Either way, include the necessary >config or code which shows how
> you've defined the pool.
>
> The pool configuration is in context.xml. A sample of the config looks like
> this:
>
>   <Resource name="jdbc/name"
>              auth="Container"
>              type="javax.sql.DataSource"
>              fairQueue="true"
>              factory="<customized-factory>"

What factory are you using?  It's important to share.  Without it we don't know
which pool you're using.

>              username="<username>"
>              password="<password>"
>              driverClassName="oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver"
>              url="<url>"
>              timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis="1800000"
>              validationQuery="SELECT 1 from dual"
>              validationInterval="30000"
>              maxActive="50"
>              minIdle="4"
>              maxIdle="4"
>              maxWait="10000"
>              initialSize="4"
>              removeAbandonedTimeout="60"
>              removeAbandoned="true"
>              logAbandoned="false"

You should enable this so you're alerted if your application is not properly
returning connections.

>              minEvictableIdleTimeMillis="600000"
>              initSQL="<initSQL>"

Is this SQL valid?  If for some reason this SQL was failing, it would cause
your connection count to go to zero.  Same with the validation query, although
that looks OK.

>              testOnBorrow="false"
>              testOnReturn="false"
>              testWhileIdle="true"
>    />
>
>>> Once the pool is created
>>> with the default configuration, I obtained few connections from this
> pool.
>
>> Again, how are you obtaining connections?  Is this through JNDI or through
> direct access by >code in your application?  An example would be helpful.
>
> The connections are being obtained by the code through JNDI lookup. Here's
> the code sample:
>
> Context ctx = (Context)new InitialContext().lookup("java:comp/env/");
> DataSource ds = (DataSource)ctx.lookup("jdbc/name");
> ds.getConnection();
>

>>> But after certain amount of time, dataSource.getSize() shows the size as
> 0!
>
>> How are you determining this?  Are you looking at it in a debugger?  Do
> you have a direct >reference to the data source in your code?  If so, can
> you show an example?
>
> I am doing a lookup for the data source in the code. The lookup example is
> the same as above. The only addition is after getting the data source,
> dataSource.getSize() is invoked.

How long does it take for the size to go to zero?  When it does, what do the
active and idle counts show?  Are they zero too?

Also, what happens when you try to get a connection after the pool count has
dropped to 0?  Does it get a new connection?  Does it hang waiting?  Does it
generate any error messages?

Is there any reason why you might be getting disconnected from the database
side or from a firewall in between your application and the database?

Dan