Doug,
Thanks for your efforts to help. I am back with more questions. Hope you can still help.

I created a folder called $CATALINA_HOME/rizapps like you suggested
I added a war file called ROOT.war to this directory
The entry for the virtual host in my $CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml looks like this..

<Host name="www.eshipper.com" appBase="rizapps" unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
     </Host>

As you suggested, I also created a folder called $CATALINA_HOME/rizapps/META-INF with a file called context.xml which looks like this
<Context displayName="riz" docBase="ROOT">
</Context>

The above works perfectly, but how do I add more apps to the rizapps folder? When I tried to change ROOT.war to riz.war (and correspondingly change the docBase to "riz") it stopped working (not sure why). So if I have another app war called riz2.war where would i put this and what entry would i need to make in the context.xml file under the META-INF directory? Can I have more than 1 context element entry in the context.xml file (1 for each app under rizapps)??

Hope my question is clear and that you can help me here.

Thanks,
-Riz.

Parsons Technical Services wrote:

First to your issue below.

Problems:
The workDir belongs in the Host section and not in the context.
The path to the workDir end in an underscore.
The default app is usually in a folder called ROOT.
The appBase would be better somewhere other than webapps. Maybe "rizapps"(my opinion) Otherwise it would conflict with an app called riz deployed in the default host.

     <Host name="www.riz.com" appBase="rizapps" unpackWARs="true"
autoDeploy="true"  workDir="work/Catalina/riz">

      <Context displayName="riz" docBase="ROOT" path=""
   </Context>
     </Host>

There is a way to use the ROOT.xml to deploy the default app for a context. I am not familiar with it but this is my best guess.

To retry your first attempt:
Remove the Context element from above.
Deploy you app in a war named ROOT.war
Use META-INF/context.xml not ROOT.xml
In the  META-INF/context.xml file remove the path element.

I ain't perfect so I may have a goof or three in the above stuff.

Doug

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rizwan Merchant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>