I've written a simple Servlet/WebSocket client that sends a message over the
Session each time a GET request comes in. This worked a few months ago:

    @Override
    protected void doGet(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse
response)
            throws ServletException, IOException
    {
        ClusterMessage message = new ClusterMessage(this.nodeId,
                "request:{ip:\"" + request.getRemoteAddr() +
                "\",queryString:\"" + request.getQueryString() + "\"}");

        try(OutputStream output = this.session.getBasicRemote().getSendStream();
            ObjectOutputStream stream = new ObjectOutputStream(output))
        {
            stream.writeObject(message);
        }
        response.getWriter().append("OK");
    }

But on the latest trunk, I get this error on the first request to doGet:

java.lang.IllegalStateException: The remote endpoint was in state
[STREAM_WRITING] which is an invalid state for called method

org.apache.tomcat.websocket.WsRemoteEndpointImplBase$StateMachine.checkState(WsRemoteEndpointImplBase.java:1014)

org.apache.tomcat.websocket.WsRemoteEndpointImplBase$StateMachine.binaryPartialStart(WsRemoteEndpointImplBase.java:961)

org.apache.tomcat.websocket.WsRemoteEndpointImplBase.sendPartialBytes(WsRemoteEndpointImplBase.java:140)

org.apache.tomcat.websocket.WsRemoteEndpointImplBase$WsOutputStream.doWrite(WsRemoteEndpointImplBase.java:838)

org.apache.tomcat.websocket.WsRemoteEndpointImplBase$WsOutputStream.flush(WsRemoteEndpointImplBase.java:821)

java.io.ObjectOutputStream$BlockDataOutputStream.flush(ObjectOutputStream.java:1823)
        java.io.ObjectOutputStream.flush(ObjectOutputStream.java:719)
        java.io.ObjectOutputStream.close(ObjectOutputStream.java:740)
        com.wrox.ClusterNodeServlet.doGet(ClusterNodeServlet.java:72)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:621)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:728)
        org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsFilter.doFilter(WsFilter.java:51)

On all subsequent requests, I get this error:

java.lang.IllegalStateException: The remote endpoint was in state
[STREAM_WRITING] which is an invalid state for called method

org.apache.tomcat.websocket.WsRemoteEndpointImplBase$StateMachine.checkState(WsRemoteEndpointImplBase.java:1014)

org.apache.tomcat.websocket.WsRemoteEndpointImplBase$StateMachine.streamStart(WsRemoteEndpointImplBase.java:951)

org.apache.tomcat.websocket.WsRemoteEndpointImplBase.getSendStream(WsRemoteEndpointImplBase.java:190)

org.apache.tomcat.websocket.WsRemoteEndpointBasic.getSendStream(WsRemoteEndpointBasic.java:62)
        com.wrox.ClusterNodeServlet.doGet(ClusterNodeServlet.java:68)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:621)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:728)
        org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsFilter.doFilter(WsFilter.java:51)

I'm guessing I need to file a BZ, but I wanted to make sure. I don't see how I
could possibly be doing anything wrong in this simple code.