I am a Linux user and love linking things to reduce copies.

Apache/Tomcat (by default) does not allow symbolic linking (nice as it can
cross mounted file systems) except in the top apache/lib directory. I use hard
links in the Application/WEB-INF/lib directories to reduce copying and help me
manage things.

HOWEVER, some applications have special needs - e.g. pictures. You don't want
to always distribute these with the release of the application (Application.war
file), so symbolic links are the way to go (except for MS land, sorry). The
nice solution to this is:
.../webapps/Application/WEB-INF/context.xml
which must contain at least the two below lines:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Context allowLinking="true"> </Context>

However this allows ALL symbolic linking in the Application directory. I agree
with the developers that this is dangerous.

Is there some way to allow linking in just ONE sub-directory of the
Application?? - e.g.

.../webapps/Application/images

This would allow all I need to have local images for the application without
endangering other things using a symbolic link.