Thanks for the example Valery.  Even with your approach, I'm finding that
unless I create a directory "webapps" in the directory from which I run the
program, I get this exception:

java.io.IOException: Application base [{1}] for host [/tmp/./webapps] does
not exist or is not a directory.

It seems to me that the WAR is still needing to be unpacked prior to
running.

--john