Unfortunately that will mean that all folks who use yahoo need to copy and
paste all messages.

I have tried "reply" and "reply to conversation" but with the new yahoo
paradigm (a couple months ago, they changed things) - it no longer allows me to
post inside of an email as it did in the past.

I understand your frustration and will try to always fully copy a message to an
editor in order to allow me to edit and NOT top post.

Apologies and my 1/2 cent.

rah

On Thursday, January 23, 2014 2:44 PM, Mark Eggers <its_toas...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

On 1/23/2014 11:21 AM, Leo Donahue wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 12:08 PM, André Warnier <a...@ice-sa.com> wrote:
>>
>> it seems that we're spending more time lately asking people to not
>> top-post, than actually providing answers to their questions.
>>
>> So I have a few suggestions of my own :
>> - have the list software add a message in *bold* to all messages, indicating
>> that top posts will be *ignored* ?
>> - just ignore top-posts ?
>> - drop the rule ?
>>

> Does this topic go back to the usenet days of the early 80s?  Top
> posting vs bottom posting?
>
> It is so customary to simply reply to people in the MS Outlook world
> that all of those people get used to top posting, because they know
> nothing different, until they come here.
>
> I'm getting used to bottom posting, but it drives my co-workers crazy
> and is not proper form where I work.  I think this we might be chasing
> the wind here.
>
> Leo

There are probably lots of reasons for top-posting, and I don't think we
can lay the blame on the MS Outlook world. The people I work with use a
mixture of Thunderbird, web-based interfaces, and Outlook.

Every one of them top-posts :-(.

I think top-posting says a lot about the thought process of the poster.
To me it says, "my issue, problem, answer, concern is of paramount
importance. You should remember everything about my issue. After all, I
remember everything about my issue."

The attitude is probably not malicious, but more along the lines of a
lack of perspective.

Two things to consider when posting to a public mailing list:

1. There are lots of topics - people don't keep up with all of them
2. Many people have more pressing concerns - your issue isn't one of
    them

In a work environment, top-posting may be rational since hopefully
you're getting mail on issues of primary importance.

In an open mailing list, bottom-posting or in-line posting makes sense
because contributors are doing this on a voluntary basis (beats
rewriting a build process in Maven for example :-p). Also, your concern
is most likely not their concern. In short, the contributors aren't
spending as many cycles on the issue as the original poster is.

This goes along with providing a complete description of your
environment and how you arrived at the problem. Within a work
environment, there's shared knowledge. In a public mailing list, no one
knows but the original poster.

Oh, and brevity is probably a good model (shoot me now).

. . . . just my two cents
/mde/