Bill,

On 1/23/14, 8:08 PM, Bill Davidson wrote:
> On 12/11/2013 11:42 PM, André Warnier wrote:
>> The original issue of the OP was to be notified ASAP when an OOM
>> occurs. And he indicated that an OOM resulted in a message in the
>> logs. So, "something" is already catching the OOM exception, to
>> write this line in the logs.
>>
>> On the other hand, there is ample literature available that seems
>> to indicate that any method for trying to recover from (or even
>> do something worthwhile after) an OOM is ultimately flawed and
>> unreliable.
>
> We have a lot of servlets and JSP's.  Most of them do not use huge
> amounts of memory but a few do (like reports).  When there is a
> memory leak, the first thing to get an OOME will be something that
> uses a large amount of memory.  That request will die, but the
> rest of the requests that don't use a lot of memory will have
> plenty of space for a while.
>
> I implemented the filter, and it works in my testing.  I also
> implemented the command line jvm option which works but only gives
> me the first OOME.  The command line option works no matter what
> and the filter works as long as it doesn't run out of memory
> generating the email message.
>
> We'll see how it all works after it gets deployed to our production
> systems in a few weeks.  Our product is mature enough that we've
> fixed memory leaks to the point that we normally go many months
> without any OOME's so it could be a while before this actually
> kicks in for a real operating situation.
>
> Thanks to Christopher for the ideas.  They were very helpful.

Glad to see my thoughts were useful. If you'd care to post your code
to either the list or onto the wiki, I'm sure it would be useful to
someone. Feel free to trim-out huge sections of the code and say "make
this fit your environment", etc. if you don't want to show everyone
how bad your email-assembling code looks ;)