ok... I'm going to bite the bullet and move forward... I've set up a
sandbox and downloaded 7.0.50.

As I started comparing my server.xml to the template in the 7.0.50, I
realized that I actually did start from the template for 7.0.27 for
everything except the context blocks.  That's where I hit a brick wall
and just copied all of the contexts from the original
who-knows-how-far-back config.

Here's my main problem that I simply cannot figure out at this
point.... In my environment, I have the same web app deployed across
several virtual hosts.  With each host I have a different database.
The way I learned to configure things eternities ago was to simply
include all of the context blocks inside the <host> blocks in
server.xml.  And then I'd define different <resource> tags referencing
the different databases inside each context block:

<host> 1
     <context 'myApp1'.....
         <resource database = "host1dbForMyApp1".....
     </context>
</host>

<host> 2
     <context 'myApp1'.....
         <resource database = "host2dbForMyApp1".....
     </context>
</host>

That's worked fine.  I have known for a while that the recommendation
is to NOT include <context> blocks in server.xml and to rather create
context.xml files in META-INF directory.  Fine.... but here's the wall
I'm hitting.... if I have one context.xml for myApp1 that now is
common to all hosts, HOW do I tell myApp1 to use one db resource for
host1 and a different db resource for host2?  I've read through tons
of the how-to pages in the docs, and I'm coming up empty.  I would
think it would make sense to define the resource at the host level.
But according to what I can find in the docs, a resource tag is not
legal directly under a host tag.

If you can help me out with this, I'll be well on my way....

Thanks.