https://github.com/yanns/servlet31_async/blob/master/src/main/java/com/yann/ReadListenerImpl.java#L22

> >> I’m not sure I see the point of the code here.  If you force it to
block with Thread.sleep() you’re going to tie up the thread that you’ve
created and you’re going to be back to having threads sitting around and
doing nothing.  If that’s the case, you may as well save yourself some
trouble and use the blocking apis.

https://github.com/yanns/play2-war-plugin/blob/servlet31/project-code/core/servlet31/src/main/scala/play/core/server/servlet31/RequestHandler31.scala#L80

> I haven’t looked at your code.  I’m not a Scala guy, so I can’t begin to
comment on that.  What you’ve described below sounds feasible though.
 Including some notes below.

> > Let me try to explain the use case:
> > let's say we want to save the uploaded file chunk by chunk in a
> > database, for which we have an asynchronous API.
> > - we receive the first chunk, that we can read synchronously in
> > onDataAvailable, no problem so far
>
> Ok.  Because this is our first call to onDataAvailable, the container is
going to handle that for us.  Question.  Are we reading until isReady()
returns false here?  or are we existing onDataAvailable with data that
still needs to be read?  This is important to know so we know who’s
responsibility it is to continue the reading process.

Yes by reading a chunk I mean reading on input until isReady returns false.

> > - we trigger the saving of this chunk in the database, and of course,
> > we do not wait for the completion of the operation
>
> Ok
>
> > - we receive the signal that a new chunk is available - the container
> > call onDataAvailable
>
> This is not quite correct.  The container won’t call onDataAvailable
here, unless you read all of the data that was available in the first step
(i.e. read till isReady() returns false).  It’s not specified, but it
doesn’t sound like that’s your intent here.
Yes I read all data available in the first step.

> > - we cannot push this chunk into the database, as the first operation
> > is not completed
>
> Ok.  At this point, you’re going to have to either buffer data or stop
reading.  It sounds like you want to do the later, so you’re going to need
to make sure something in your code starts reading again when your code can
process more data, since the container is not going to handle the call back.

> > - we asynchronously wait for the completion of the database operation.
> > We do not read any data so that the container push the pressure back
> > to the browser, telling it to slowdown. We do not want to block any
> > thread here. That's why we must exit the onDataAvailable without
> > having read any data.
>
> Sounds OK, but you’re now responsible for making sure that the rest of
the data is consumed.  If you don’t do this, the request will appear to
hang until it times out.

> > - when the database says us that it is ready for a new operation (by a
> > callback, or an event), then we can read the second chunk and trigger
> > the save operation in the database
>
> Once the database write is complete, you’re just going to need to call
onDataAvailable manually some how.  The container won’t do it because you
previously exited before isReady() returned false.

> > This a what I simulated with the new Thread and Thread.sleep.
> > In reality, there are no "new Thread" - it just simulates that at some
> > point later, the database driver informs us that the database is ready
> > for a new operation.
> > There are no Thread.sleep neither - it just simulates a slow database
> > to check the back-pressure mechanism that the container should do on
> > the browser.
>
> Ok, I understand what you’re going for here.
>
> > Also, if you said that I must consume the chunks synchronously in
> > onDataAvailable, I can simply not implement this double triggering
> > (from browser and from database) without blocking any thread. For me,
> > it means that I cannot totally use the asynchronous IO mechanism of
> > the OS.
>
> The non-blocking API that Servlet 3.1 exposes is pretty flexible, but
things get complicated quick.  I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t do
what you’ve described.  It’s just going to be complicated.  You’re going to
have to know when the container will call onDataAvailable and when you need
to call it.

Maybe it is too simplified in my head but I though if tomcat permits to
exit the onDataAvailable immediately and to read the input afterwards, as I
am doing in the sample app, then it is possible.

Jetty seems to allow this. Why not tomcat? Is there something in the
specification about it. I could not find anything explicit.

> Hope that helps.
>
> Dan
>

> > I hope I made my goals clear.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Yann
> >

> >> Here’s what I’d suggest to make this work.
> >>
> >>  - in onDataAvailable read as much data as possible
> >>  - if you read until input.isReady() is false then just exit the
function.  The container will call back when more data can be read.
> >>  - if you need to stop reading for some reason but input.isReady() is
still true, use a thread pool to schedule your own call back to
onDataAvailable at some point in the future.  You can then continue reading
at that point in time.
> >>  - Repeat until you’ve read all the data.
> >>
> >> You still need additional threads with this approach, but it’s not one
to one.  A small thread pool can service many requests because the thread
is only active when data is being read.

http://git.eclipse.org/c/jetty/org.eclipse.jetty.project.git/tree/jetty-servlets/src/main/java/org/eclipse/jetty/servlets/DataRateLimitedServlet.java

> >> Dan

you're getting the same behavior.

so

ServletInputStream.isReady() and it returns false, that should trigger the
container to call onDataAvailable() when more data is available to be read.
 If you return from onDataAvailable() and ServletInputStream.isReady() is
still true the container won't call onDataAvailable() again.  You'll be
responsible for calling it when you're ready to read more.

is tricky.  If you can include a sample Servlet or test case, it would
greatly increase your chance of getting feedback.

https://github.com/yanns/play2-war-plugin/blob/servlet31/project-code/core/servlet31/src/main/scala/play/core/server/servlet31/RequestHandler31.scala#L74

Java.

onDataAvailable(), it