I am using the containers JDBCRealm but would like to allow any
authenticated users (without roles) to access protected resources. I realise
that the handling of <role-name>*</role-name> was modified to comply with
the Servlet specification in Tomcat 5.5.x but is it really necessary to give
all users an essentially meaningless role under these circumstances.

The point that David Delbecq made at the end of discussion Thread
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user
<http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user&m=113898307102307&w=2>
&m=113898307102307&w=2 is very valid and there are also repercussions when
using the JDBCRealm. Our system allows users to create their own accounts
and in order to upgrade to the latest version of Tomcat we will need to add
code to also insert records in the user_role link table, the fact that
foreign keys aren't used in the link table means that we are also creating
duplicates of all our usernames.

I realise this change was necessary to conform with the Servlet
specification but a workaround would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in
advance.

Ronny.