Update.  I go the images to show using two servlets.  One to return the text
items and one to return the image based on the ID in the text.  I used
David's example as a starter.
I did find that when I used:

"img src="/webapp/path/to/servlet.jpg?recId=" + member.getID() + "/>"

The id that was returned had a / after the id which really caused issues.
(ended up looking like 345556/)
I changed the "/>" to " />" (a space prior to the /) and the code works
fine.
I am not sure if this is the best way to get it to work so if anyone has any
ideas, let me know.
Once I get the code cleaned up I will post the appropriate parts.
Calvin