On Feb 11, 2014, at 4:56 AM, André Warnier <a...@ice-sa.com> wrote:

> It looks that way. But this mod_proxy parameter (disablereuse, lowercase - I
> don't know if it matters) is in a section "BalancerMember parameters", and it
> is not very clear if that applies even if you are not using a balancer, or if
> it is forwarded to mod_proxy_ajp. Some other options in the same page specify
> this explicitly, but this one doesn't.
>
> I guess that Mark could answer that.
>
> I think that it would help, in a general sense, if there was a general
> "translation table" somewhere showing the AJP or other attributes or control
> parameters which exist, and to what option they correspond in respectively
> mod_jk and mod_proxy/mod_proxy_ajp.
> But due to the difficulty of figuring this out by trial and error, probably
> only the respective developers can do that.
>
>>> But I don't remember (and did not check earlier in the thread) if you
>>> indicated that you are using mod_proxy_ajp.
>>>
>>> And to answer the previous question : yes, I believe that you can keep a
>>> long keep-alive in Apache httpd, independently of how httpd connects to
>>> Tomcat.

Once we started getting to around 5,000 connected users, our Tomcat application
became overwhelmed and unresponsive using the AJP NIO connector. I've
temporarily improved the situation by moving to much more powerful hardware.
However, it still drops a few connections throughout the day.

I will experiment with other configurations on a test instance, and load it up
using the 'ab' Apache Benchmarking tool. I will post back my results on this
list.

Some things I would like to try:
* Using APR with SSL and directly serving connections, instead of using Apache
as a front-end.
* Setting the org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioSelectorShared attributer to false,
and increasing the selectorPool.maxSelectors property
* The suggestion made here about using disablereuse with mod_proxy

If there are any other suggestions, please let me know so that I can try them
out.

--Jesse Barnum, President, 360Works
http://www.360works.com
Product updates and news on http://facebook.com/360Works