> You could try setting tomcatAuthentification="false" on your AJP connector
> in server.xml. If Shibboleth put the value in REMOTE_USER as it should then
> tomcat should pick it up as the principal.
> Be aware that you should protect your ajp connector so that no other
> machine than your Apache can connect to it.

This was one of the first things I tried, and when it didn't work I
thought I must be missing something. Of course, now that you've
inspired me to try again it works flawlessly. Thanks!

I am still curious as to why the AJP connector populates incoming
request headers as attributes, though. It seems like it has the
potential to cause problems without offering any obvious benefits.

--
Elliot Kendall
IAM Support Engineer - Single Sign On