> Hello
>
> I need your help if possible to resolve a critical issue.
>
> We had to shut down our Sun Solaris 10 server for a maintenance activity.
> First, we stopped the applicaction and while doing that we had the following
> message:
>
> [edms@nlxsl212] edms $ spastop
> Using CATALINA_BASE: /volumes/v1/edms/opt/tomcat
> Using CATALINA_HOME: /volumes/v1/edms/opt/tomcat
> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /volumes/v1/edms/opt/tomcat/temp
> Using JRE_HOME: /edms/opt/jdk1.6.0_30
> Using CLASSPATH: /volumes/v1/edms/opt/tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar
> Illegal Instruction
> [edms@nlxsl212] edms $ spastart
> Using CATALINA_BASE: /volumes/v1/edms/opt/tomcat
> Using CATALINA_HOME: /volumes/v1/edms/opt/tomcat
> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /volumes/v1/edms/opt/tomcat/temp
> Using JRE_HOME: /edms/opt/jdk1.6.0_30
> Using CLASSPATH: /volumes/v1/edms/opt/tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar
> Illegal Instruction
>
> It stopped anyway.

What is your proof that it stopped?

What is in the logs ($CATALINA_BASE/logs)?

> But when we had to restart the application, it failed. Apache does not want
> to start.
>
> We tried to stop and start again. Same issue.
>
> We have Tomcat 6.0. and Apache 2.2.24

The rules
http://tomcat.apache.org/lists.html#tomcat-users

-> 1."please state your exact Tomcat version"

> We would appreciate a prompt answer.

Your "spastop" and "spastart" are not our scripts, so no clue what
they are doing.

It is up to you to provide any real information about your system.

As Tomcat output is usually redirected to a
$CATALINA_BASE/logs/catalina.out file,  I would say that the "Illegal
Instruction" message is not from Tomcat (a java application) but from
within a shell script that you are using to launch it.

You have to find out
1) whether the script has any effect on Tomcat
(that is whether it launches java or if it aborts execution before that).

2) what line of the script fails
(e.g. by adding some echo statements or "set -x")