> I can't tell how much easier it is to manage Tomcat installations
> (even small ones) with these two separated: Tomcat base install goes
> one place, your configuration and everything you need goes another.
> Upgrades are as simply as changing the CATALINA_HOME path, and
> downgrades (if necessary) are just as simple.

I've been running my tomcat 7 servers with CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE
separated. However, I've noticed that the majority of dot releases in the 7
series have changes to files in the conf directory. I have therefore always
been merging in these changes into my conf directory. Can these conf changes be
safely ignored?
Thanks,
Paul