> Hello:
>
> I'm using Tomcat 6.0.24 and I'm testing how to return Content-Length header
> So I've defined a Filter and declared in web.xml of my web application
>
> If I do this:
>
> HttpServletResponse httpResponse = (HttpServletResponse) response;
> chain.doFilter(request, response);
> httpResponse.setHeader("Content-Length", "200");
>
> doesn't work ( it doesn't set the header and
> Transfer-Encoding:chunked is returned )
> )
>
> but
>
> HttpServletResponse httpResponse = (HttpServletResponse) response;
> httpResponse.setHeader("Content-Length", "200");
> chain.doFilter(request, response);
>
> does and it works OK
>
> Why ?
> Does anyone use a filter to set Content-Length header ?
> Must I declared in web.xml of Tomcat ?

1. Why are you using such an old build of 6.0.x?
2. You cannot set headers when any part of the response has already
been sent to client. At that time headers have already been sent over
the wire.
See ServletResponse.isCommitted().
3. You should be careful with that header. If you set it to a wrong
value you may break something.