Hi,
I get this error:

java.lang.NullPointerException

org.apache.catalina.session.ManagerBase.generateSessionId(ManagerBase.java:807)

org.apache.catalina.session.ManagerBase.createSession(ManagerBase.java:653)
        org.apache.catalina.connector.Request.doGetSession(Request.java:2956)
        org.apache.catalina.connector.Request.getSession(Request.java:2320)

org.apache.catalina.connector.RequestFacade.getSession(RequestFacade.java:899)

org.apache.catalina.connector.RequestFacade.getSession(RequestFacade.java:911)
        com.myfilter.AuthenticationFilter.doFilter(AuthenticationFilter.java:47)

at the line 47 of AuthenticationFilter the only action I do is
((HttpServletRequest) request).getSession()

I use Tomcat 7.0.50 on a 64 bit machine with the basic configuration.
This only happens sometimes, and is hard to reproduce.
I have a filter that uses the session to check if the user is logged,
after undeploying and deploying, sometimes the webapp shows the
exception.
I've traced it down to ManagerBase.java - generateSessionId() method.

I have seen that when I get this error I get it on different browsers
so it is not about a wrong state in the current session.

I have noticed that waiting 10 minutes in some cases can fix the problem.