> Hi Christopher(and Konstantin), attached is a couple of thread dumps of when
> we experienced the issue again today. I also noticed we get this message
> right before the problem occurs:
> Feb 27, 2014 12:47:15 PM
> org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable run
> SEVERE: Caught exception (java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new
> native thread) executing
> org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket$SocketAcceptor@177ddea, terminating thread

That explains why a connection cannot be accepted.

I wonder are you hitting an "ulimit" limit,
or there is just not enough free memory to allocate stack area for a
new thread (which size is set by -Xss option to java executable).

Your thread dumps contain 149 threads each.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko