> On our linux boxes, we have multiple users who run tomcat.
>
> Currently we are using process kill commands to kill the respective user's
> tomcat , instead of using shutdown.sh
>
> Are there any downsides of using this approach ?

It depends on what process you are killing.

If you are killing jsvc (Apache Commons Daemon),
then it is OK, as it should call Tomcat' Server.stop() properly.

If you are killing a java process, then Tomcat shutdowns thanks
to a shutdown hook that it installs in the JVM.
The downside to this approach is that all shutdown hooks are started
at the same time and run in parallel.

E.g.  if you have some 3rd party library that installed a shutdown hook
(e.g. an embedded database or a logging library),
it may shut down earlier than request processing in Tomcat shuts down.

It is also possible to kill java process immediately in such way that
no shutdown
hooks are run. In this case, of course, all bets are off.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko