Michael Decker wrote:
My problem is, that the application session (set by cookie or url
parameter) is not associated with the SSL session. And I hope, there is
an easy way to that.
I dont understand why you want to connect to two (under my definition of
each explained above).

Why I want that? If you've an application with session. So you can get
the application information by spying (XSS, browser plugin etc.) or
copying (URL with session ID).

Because of that the idea was to join SSL session id and application
session id, you can avoid that.

Understood on what you are trying to do now. Maybe: http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/2.1/api/javax.servlet.ServletRequest.html and :

javax.net.ssl.SSLSession sslSession = (javax.net.ssl.SSLSession) request.getAttribute("javax.net.ssl.session");
byte[] sslId = sslSession.getId()

Will do the trick.

Before all HttpSession object usage you want to validate it, maybe a Servlet Filter would be a good way to handle this. http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/Filters.html

The AJP protocol seamlessly conveys the SSL related information between apache and tomcat. Although apache+mod_ssl is the SSL endpoint, the web-app still have access to it just as-if you had setup SSL on tomcat directly.

It is not normal to connect the SSL session in
this way, as the HTTP protocol may (or may not) use the same SSL session
details during the next request, the client may (or may not) support
persistent connections.  The SSL session cache is a performance
optimization, not something an application gets to see or use directly.

I'm not sure if I completely understand you: The SSL session (ID) can
change between two requests?

HTTP is a stateless protocol. So from a pure HTTP perspective, yes sure the ID can change between requests. In practice with featurefull browsers and a normal usage pattern linking them is probably safe you'll have to test with your userbase to be sure.

Darryl