Sorry, I made a couple of typos when I copied my stuff over and edited out my
actual FQDN... I do have

<VirtualHost *:443>

    SSLEngine on
    SSLProxyEngine on
    SSLCertificateFile /path/to/server.crt
    SSLCertificateKeyFile /path/to/server.key
    ServerName my.webserver.com
    ProxyPass / https://my.webserver.com:8443/
    ProxyPassReverse / https://my.webserver.com:8443/

</VirtualHost>

which I think is what you are suggesting?