Ugh. Looks like I need to use wss in my environment. I just found this.

"If an encrypted WebSocket Secure connection (wss://) is used, then in the
case of transparent proxy servers, the browser is unaware of the proxy
server, so no HTTPCONNECT is sent. However, since the wire traffic is
encrypted, intermediate transparent proxy servers may simply allow the
encrypted traffic through, *so there is a much better chance that the
WebSocket connection will succeed if an encrypted WebSocket connection is
used.*"

Thanks everyone for your help.