On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 12:58 PM, Mark H. Wood <mw...@iupui.edu> wrote:

> It's probably worth asking what "full-fledged enterprise applications"
> means.  I'm not aware of any specification with that title.

That was a "Spring" term from the page I was reading, and the reason I
asked the question.

Tomcat itself is not a J(2)EE application server.  I have been under the
impression that one could successfully could implement *some* of the J(2)EE
stack carefully on Tomcat through other means.

Spring is one of those means?

>From what I've been reading about Spring in the last three days is it is
essentially a bunch of design patterns turned into objects.  Dependency
Injection through patterns - I get that.  The AOP part of Spring is
basically a mechanism for applying object behavior to other objects without
composition.  I know i have that wording wrong, but essentially, AOP though
the use of point-cuts lets me applying object behavior of logging to other
objects without those objects being composed of my logging objects.  I
don't know how I would do that with a pattern, unless it is some kind of
front controller pattern - but I don't know.

So, Spring allows Tomcat to host "full-fledged enterprise applications"
that would normally require a J(2)EE application server like Glassfish?
That is what I was asking, without saying it specifically.