> Deploy a ROOT web application whose 404 page says "Down for
> maintenance". You could even customize this kind of thing to only
> respond to certain URL-prefixes (like [ROOT]/mywebapp/*).
>
> What will you do while Tomcat is restarting, though, if you have to
> restart?

Restarts take about a second or two, it's an acceptable downtime. Custom
404's are a good idea -- the only content I need in the directory is the
404 maintenance page itself. I can just swap the names of the actual webapp
and 'maintenence' webapp directories (they're exploded).

Thanks to everyone for the other good suggestions.