On Mar 18, 2014, at 10:13 AM, Randeep <randeep...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have servers in Amazon Web Services Platform.
>
> My servers are Centos 5.4
>
> I have httpd-2.2+mod_jk+tomcat-6.0.37 stack on them
>
> I'm using elastic load balancer with autoscaling, so, many instances can
> spawn and terminate anytime. But once the instance is terminated tomcat
> logs of that instance is no more available.
>
> I was trying to forward httpd

ErrorLog supports sending logs to syslog.

  http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#errorlog

I’m not sure about CustomLog.  That might take a little more work.  Are you
trying to send access logs as well?

> and Apache tomcat logs

First thing that comes to mind here is using Log4j and it’s syslog appender.

You can setup Tomcat to use Log4j.  Instructions here.

  http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/logging.html#Using_Log4j

Then configure an appender to use SyslogAppender.

http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/apidocs/org/apache/log4j/net/SyslogAppender.html

That should get you anything that would normally be written to a Tomcat log
(catalina.yyyy-mm-dd.log or localhost.yyyy-mm-dd.log).  It wouldn’t get you
access logs or anything your apps are writing to System.out / System.err.
Again, how much are you trying to send to your syslog server?

Dan