On Apr 4, 2014, at 1:59 PM, Sean Winterberger <sean.winterber...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> We just updated to tomcat 7.0.52 using the JSR356 implementation for
> websockets.  This implementation is using the annotated class method of
> setting up the websocket server endpoint.
>
> On a local install of the system (windows7) the tomcat lib directory
> contains tomcat7-websocket.jar and websocket-api.jar, however I do not seem
> to be getting those two files from apt-get install tomcat7.
>
> We are using Chef to deploy to multiple instances to AWS and adding the
> trust repo to apt to pull down ver 7.0.52 of Tomcat.
>
> deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty main
>
> We are accessing our websocket server via https, not wss since we are using
> AWS ELBs.
>
> After spending a few hours trying to figure out why the connections were
> returning 404 for the endpoint I realized the /usr/share/tomcat7/lib dir
> was missing the websocket jars.
>
> Is this working as intended?  Is there a separate apt pkg we can install to
> get the proper jars for websocket or do we have to package these jars
> ourselves?
>
> Thanks for any help!

Just an FYI, the Debian packages for Tomcat are not maintained by the Tomcat
project.  There maybe someone on this list who can answer your question, but
you might be better off asking on a Debian specific mailing list.

Otherwise I’d suggest installing from the tar.gz file here.

  http://tomcat.apache.org/download-70.cgi

Install can be as easy as unzipping the file, full instructions can be found in
the included RUNNING.txt file or online here.

  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc7.0.x/trunk/RUNNING.txt

Dan