but
if the server is a *nix implementation, the better diag tool
might be dig. And yes, I would not expect the address 0.0.0.0
on a client to connect to the localhost.  That is a special
case address
meaning
"local network". If anything, it would be sending packets out
the NIC card, not via loopback.
0.0.0.0 means "all IPv4 interfaces available" and only applies
for binding a server socket. You can never connect to "0.0.0.0"
as a client.

Chris - It actually has a different meaning based on use.  For
binding to a socket in the local IP stack, it means what you
say. In the routing table, it means the default route.  In
firewalls/routers, it probably means something completely
different. When used as a destination address, it means what I
said.  How the IP stack/hardware deals with it is dependent on
the implementation. The RFCs specify that it should be treated
the same as the broadcast address, but local network only, and
not routable.  That may be for received packets only, as I've
seen other references that it should never be used on-the-wire,
unless as the source address in protocols like DHCP. In any
event, definitely not expect the 0.0.0.0. address to get any
response, either local host or otherwise. For the OP's specific
problem, s/he need to see how "localhost" is resolving.  Most
systems define it in the local "hosts" file, either /etc/hosts
(*nix) or c:\Windows\system32\etc\hosts.  Not sure for other
systems. Jeff
Make that C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.

I did a test and it appeared that ping didn't rely on the entry
being there, but it could have been a cached result.
Way back in the day when I had the misfortune to use Windows regularly
for stuff like this, I seem to recall that almost nothing short of a
reboot would cause the "hosts" file to be re-read.

- -chris

If I remember correctly, the Windows resolver cache may be cleared from
a command prompt with ipconfig and that should include entries from the
hosts file.  Seems like I may have had to restart the browser though to
see any changes to the hosts file.

ipconfig /flushdns