On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 4:22 PM, Christopher Schultz
<ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

>> I see different folder options for installing Apache Tomcat 7/8 on
>> a Mac: /opt, /usr/local and /Applications. What is the recommended
>> folder to install it on Mac OSX?
>
> I think it's really a matter of personal preference.
>
> /usr/local is kind of a Linux-ism, while most other *NIXs tend to use
> /opt for "extra" software installed for all users.

>From an older (archaeological!) perspective, /usr/local is more a
BSD Unix standard vs /opt from System V Unix.

But yes, personal preference -- I put things in /usr/local on all my
servers so I do the same on my Mac for consistency. Keeps me
from having to pointlessly genericize shell scripts and whatnot.

--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroe...@gmail.com
http://about.me/hassanschroeder