> Hi.
>
> Starting from a vanilla current Tomcat 7 download (*), on a Linux server
>
> (Chris already answered most of questions...)
>
> - we would like only one logfile, for everything which Tomcat itself
> produces (currently, it seems to produce half a dozen, most of them empty
> but nevertheless rotated on a daily base)
> - we would like a separate logfile for the one webapp, because it
> unfortunately produces a bunch of junk output to sysout and/or syserr, and
> there is no way to turn that off at the webapp level, and we do not have the
> source code of that webapp.
> (Basically, I would like to "junk" this output to /dev/null, but how do I do
> that with the standard Tomcat JULI logging ?)

Does that app write to stderr/stdout without using any logging library?

If so, then you can configure <Context> to catch those writes and
redirect them to logging system.

The context will use ServletContext.log(..) for those messages.

Then you can configure "level" for that log category so that the
messages are not logged anywhere.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko