Running TC 7.0.54 as a service with JRE 7u60, on Windows Server 2008 R2.

What should I use as a guideline for setting the socketBuffer setting in server.xml? Should it just be big enough to handle a single response with a little headroom? Or does it handle more than one response at a time?

My app receives tons (up to several hundred per second) of small (<200 bytes) requests, and returns an even smaller response, typically around 50 bytes, and no more than 100. So can I use a small socketBuffer setting without hurting my performance, or will a larger setting gain me something? Right now my socketBuffer setting is 16384.

The reason I ask is that today for the first time I received an error in a separate command line java app that runs on this same machine: "java.net.SocketException: No buffer space available (maximum connections reached?): connect". And I'm trying to determine if tuning my buffer size, or the number of sockets is the better first step toward solving it.

Thanks for any suggestions!