Jim,

On 6/26/14, 2:47 AM, Jim Lindqvist wrote:
> Hi Christopher,
>
> Thank you for your insights and sorry for a late reply.
>
> This specific issue seemed do be because of limited bandwidth at
> the data centre and it had now been fixed. We are having some other
> problem as well, but these seem to come from inefficient modules at
> the moment and we are investigating at full pace.
>

>> What is the JkMount directive(s) that you are trying to undo
>> with JkUnMount?
>
> JkMount /* customer

Is there a compelling reason to use Apache httpd at all, if you are
going to forward everything.

>> Whenever you turn off /Tomcat/ they get fast again? Do you just
>> have to stop Tomcat or do you have to de-configure it in
>> httpd.conf?
>
> Only stopping Tomcat is required. This would correspond with the
> bandwidth issue.
>

>> Wait, you have a server with 64GiB of RAM? Cool. And it serves
>> images for a living? Weird.
>
> It is both cool and weird. :P The reason for 64Gb is basically that
> when things break down, more ram and cpu delays the problem. We are
> looking for ways to reduce memory usage.
>

>> Up. Grade.
>
> We are looking into it, but 7.0.26 seems to be associated with this
> Ubuntu version. Is it a huge difference? I really don't want to
> rock this boat any more that absolutely necessary.

You might want to think about abandoning the package-managed versions
of Tomcat. When even Debian has 7.0.28 available, you should consider
7.0.26 a dinosaur.

The greatest thing about Debian is that it is rock-solid. The worst
thing about Debian is that its packages are years out of date. The
best thing about Ubuntu is ... I dunno... upgrading packages every 18
hours? I think I liked Gentoo better than Ubuntu.

Anyhow, moving to a non-package-managed Tomcat is less scary than it
sounds. You can even run multiple versions simultaneously, which I
would highly recommend you understand and follow (read the "Advanced"
section in README.txt in any official distribution).

Since Tomcat does not provide patches for individual security
vulnerabilities (instead, new releases are ... uh, released), the
downstream consumers of Tomcat are reticent to update their packages
with any regularity. The situation becomes that most package-managed
versions of Tomcat are horribly out of date and may actually be
dangerous to run.