On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 5:27 AM, Ben Calnan <ben.cal...@hackney.gov.uk>
wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> My question is about multiple tomcat instances and redirection of URLs to
> other ports on IIS6 windows server 2003.
>
> I have two Java apps (web archives) GeoServer and GeoNetwork. Because they
> are quite big memory intensive apps, I've heard it's recommended to run two
> instances of Tomcat.
>
> I've downloaded the windows service installer (32bit, tomcat 8.09) and
> installed two copies of Tomcat with separate ports namely:
>

>  *   Instance 1:
>     *   HTTP 8083, redirect 8100,
>     *   Shutdown port 8005,
>     *   AJP 8009, redirect 8100
>  *   Instance 2:
>     *   HTTP 8084, redirect 8101
>     *   shutdown 8006,
>     *   AJP 8010, redirect 8101
>

> Everything seems to work correctly if I type in the URL with the port
> number, but site is only available to public users on port 8080.
>
> So my question is how do I redirect users who say type in
> www.example.com/geoserver<http://www.mysite.com/geoserver> to
> www.example.com:8083/geoserver<http://www.mysite.com:8083/geoserver>, or
> www.example.com/geonetwork<http://www.mysite.com/geonetwork> to
> www.example.com:8084/geonetwork<http://www.example.com:8084/geonetwork>
> without them seeing. Do I need some kind of ISAPI filter to do this in IIS6?
>
> Apologies if this is dumb question or the wrong forum, any help though
> would be very much appreciated!

One option is to put a reverse proxy in front of your Tomcat instances.
 The reverse proxy, likely IIS in your case, would listen on the standard
ports 80 and 443 taking requests and proxying them to your Tomcat
instances.  Once a request is processed, Tomcat would send the response to
IIS and IIS would return the response to the user.  One of the neat things
about this is that since users only talk to IIS, they don't need to worry
about the port that Tomcat is running on.

There is some documentation on setting this up here:
http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/webserver_howto/iis.html

Dan