I had a leak of that kind when I wasn't closing inputstream and outputstream objects. It's one thing to check anyway.

Petkov, Rossen wrote:

   Using a profiler, doesn't seem to help me much. I can see the memory
being used by certain classes go up (mainly char[] and byte[] and some
tomcat classes, please see the tables below) and even reach all the way
to the point that used java heap equals to the java heap, then GC
probably kicks but, while running Tomcat throws an OutOfMemory
exception. I have allocated -Xmx896M.   I'm now forcing a GC when the
free memory drops to 15%. With every GC, the freed memory is less and
less, which to me is an indication of memory leak.