On 14/08/2014 15:10, George Sexton wrote:

> On 8/4/2014 8:17 AM, André Warnier wrote:
>> Sanaullah wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> is there a way i ca replace plain JKS keystore password with encrypted
>>> password in tomcat server.xml?
>>>

>> This kind of question comes regularly on this list, I would say 2 or 3
>> times each year.
>> Searching the list archives (mentioned in the superb on-line Tomcat
>> documentation) would provide a number of discussions on the topic.
>>
>> The basic answer is no, because then Tomcat would need to be able to
>> decrypt it; and to do that, it would need to know a decryption key;
>> and to know that, this decryption key would need to be stored
>> somewhere; loop to the beginning of this paragraph.
>
> Can you help me understand why tomcat doesn't take the approach of
> Apache httpd which is to ask the user for the decryption key at startup
> time?

Because it is largely a waste of time. Anyone with root on the box can
do a heap dump and retrieve the actual key or the password used to
protect the key. Much simpler just to not bother with a password and
configure the key file so only root and the Tomcat user can read it.
Same ends, simpler means.

Mark