HI Dan,
Yes, tried different ways, forward slashes, then unix style when I strip
drive label, usually it works for same drive where app is running.
Here is my whole case in more details.
I created virtual host and I put root.xml into conf/Catalina/myhost

Below is whole content of that root.xml but it just does not work when it
starts, complaining about missing classes.

<Context>
 <Resources>
     <PreResources  base="/Projects/tomcat/apache-tomcat-8.0.11/hostlibs/
myhost" className="org.apache.catalina.webresources.DirResourceSet"
webAppMount="/WEB-INF/lib"/>
 </Resources>
</Context>

If I get all those jars and put inside web-inf/lib into war then it starts
without problems. All I could find on internet about usage it for libraries
another post where author having issues with it as well. Does it work for
anybody to externalize libs in Tomcat 8?

Thanks