Konstantin,

>> Hello, I have this error configuring SPDY in Tomcat 8.0.11 in
>> RHEL Linux 6.4 (64bit).
>>
>> Everything works fine removing npnHandler attribute for SPDY.
>>
>> Sep 04, 2014 9:30:02 AM
>> org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener init INFO: Loaded
>> APR based Apache Tomcat Native library 1.1.31 using APR version
>> 1.3.9. Sep 04, 2014 9:30:02 AM
>> org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener init INFO: APR
>> capabilities: IPv6 [true], sendfile [true], accept filters
>> [false], random [true]. .. Sep 04, 2014 9:30:55 AM
>> org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol start INFO: Starting
>> ProtocolHandler ["http-apr-xx.xx.xx.xx-443"]
>> java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:
>> org.apache.tomcat.jni.SSLExt.setNPN(J[BI)I at
>> org.apache.tomcat.jni.SSLExt.setNPN(Native Method)
>
> Your copy of Tomcat-Native library was compiled without NPN
> support and does not have the above method.

It appears that the 1.1 branch of tcnative doesn't have any of the
SSLExt.java/sslext.c methods at all: src/sslext.c does not even exist.

It looks like this was added in the trunk but nobody ever bothered to
back-port it to the 1.1 branch (which is of course what everybody
actually uses). It also looks like there are a bunch of functions that
are defined when HAVE_OPENSSL is defined, but have no definition
otherwise. This means that those other methods would end up throwing
UnsatisfiedLinkError if they are called. They all have to do with SSL
and therefore make no sense being called under those conditions, but
it's always nice to have a method exist when the Java code expects it
to exist ;)

The obvious solution is to back-port src/sslext.c to the 1.1 branch
but I'd like someone who was involved in working on that stuff
(Costin; markt only made whitespace changes to make checkstyle happy)
to comment before I do it.

Roland, would you be willing to patch your tcnative source and re-try?
The patch should be trivial (new file).